Providing "Prattles" since May 20, 2010

Over 9,700 Page Views.....(not exactly going viral)

Playground Highlights: Palmer's Resume....40 Prattles....Photo Gallery....Memorable Quotes

Monday, May 31, 2010

6. Canterbury Park

Palmer's Prattle....Edition #6....May 15, 2010....Shakopee, MN

It was a beautiful day today and I needed to be outside doing something....but what?....Twins?....out of town.....run?....did it already....golf?....too lousy.......walk?......too dull.......bike?.....too much like running.....sit out on my deck?...too boring......go to the Minneapolis lakes?.....too old.....go out to Lake Minnetonka?....too poor....what's a 56 year old Norwegian bachelor going to do??????.....it ain't easy being me.....some days it's just hard to have fun.....

After reminiscing earlier in the day with Oly and Stork about our attendance at the Preakness back in 2005, the "AH HA" moment hit me....I can go to Canterbury Park today....it's opening weekend there and the Preakness will be simulcast there in conjunction with the live races....I could relive the magical day from 2005.... oh the stories....sorry, I digress I(that trip deserves a separate prattle edition)....and admission is free this year.....how can you beat that?

Note: click on enclosed photo to enlarge it.

Highlights of the day....

-Upon my arrival at sun drenched Canterbury Park I found a lively crowd of 8,500 having one large party.....excellent people watching.....a wide cross section of people.....all ages.....all walks of life....crusty old men......families....state fair types....young hotties.....blue collar types.....dressed up people......the beer was flowing and the party was on....I see absolutely no one I know or even recognize.....no surprise there I guess...........probably just as well...

-I found a nice table out on the front deck....Wally the Beer Man was johnny on the spot to sell me a beer....technology has made betting very easy now....the betting window now comes to you....women with portable devices will take your bets right at your table...prints your betting slips and pays you cash when you win.....this is good living...

-I find some interesting friends to hang out with.....see photo below.....horse racing brings out my gals Sunday best...



                                                  
-I start out with some safe $2 bets - win/place/show....just to keep me interested in the races....easy wins but you of course make no money....finally put $10 on a horse to win.....my nag wins and I'm 30 dollars to the good...

-Finally it's time for the Preakness and there is no doubt on who I'm betting on....it's my new hero, Calvin Borel, the jockey who will be riding his Kentucky Derby winner, Super Saver......listening to Calvin during interviews has taught me all about horse racing...his jockey argot/lingo/jargon has opened up a whole new world for me.

-Calvin has guaranteed that his horse, Super Saver, will win the triple crown this year so who am I to question him?.....put $50 on him to WIN!.....figure it's easy money....this is lock......

-Super Saver is right there in second place at the 3/4 turn.....I'm counting my winnings.....and then it happens.....the big fade......Super Saver tanks it down the stretch and finishes a distant and very disappointing 8th......and I'm out 50 big ones....OUCH!.....oh well, it was a good investment in FUN......my $50 is part of the $514,000 that was bet at the track today...what recession?

-Life is still good at 56.....