Providing "Prattles" since May 20, 2010

Over 9,700 Page Views.....(not exactly going viral)

Playground Highlights: Palmer's Resume....40 Prattles....Photo Gallery....Memorable Quotes

Thursday, June 3, 2010

10. Streaks

Palmer's Prattle....Edition #10.....Updated March 1, 2012


I have always been fascinated by "streaks"...i.e. things that are done consecutively over a long period of time........day after day....year after year....never missing..... something done "in a row":.....over and over.....no interruptions....

Some of the amazing streaks from the world of sports have always impressed me....

Consecutive Games Played
-Cal Ripken....2,632
-Lou Gehrig...2,130
-Brett Favre..285

Hitting Streaks
-Joe Dimaggio...56 games
-Paul Molitor....39 games

Pitching Streaks
-Carl Hubbell...24 wins
-Oral Hershiser...59 scoreless innings
-Eric Gagne....84 saves

Winning Streaks
-UCLA - 88 games
-Los Angeles Lakers...33 games
-Byron Nelson....11 golf tournaments

This impressive list of streaks have inspired me to have my own personal streaks.....(with a little help from my Obsessive Compulsive Disorder)...

Consecutive Days / Years (all still in progress)
-1,137 days....daily workouts.....as of March 1, 2012...that's just a little over 3 years...(no end in site)
-160 days...days not having to go to work (I'm retired now you know)
-46 years....having Thanksgiving dinner at my uncle's house (Bloomington, Burnsville, Apple Valley)
-30 years....riding in the annual Ironman Bike ride (100 miles-20 years / 65 miles-5 years / 30 miles- 5 years
-31 years....playing on my current softball game (never missed a game due to injury)
-28 years....playing pick up basketball at Osseo High School
-29 years....season ticket holder for Gopher basketball
-29 years....playing on a basketball team made up of the same guys...all my age (league in St. Louis Park)
-25 years....attending a weekend golf outing in June with college buddies (Ivy Open)
-22 years....attending a Christmas tree decorating party at a life long friend's house (Steve Hinrichs aka Stork / Squirrel)

Streaks that have ended
-44 years...celebrating Christmas Eve at the Peterson family farm place* (1954 to 1997)
-30 years....working at Norstan/Black Box**
- years...going on golf trip to Sarasota, Florida in March***

*Ended because my Norwegian bachelor farmer uncle (John) sold the farm and moved into town. (he's now 92, healthy, active and my idol)

**Ended when I officially retired from Black Box on September 23, 2011.

***Ended when my buddies grew up.

I don't see any reason for my streaks to end anytime soon as long as my health holds up, my OCD continues and I end up being blessed with my 92 year old uncle John's genes.